What is it and how does it work?
In the Netherlands everybody from the age of 18 pays excess with his or her healthcare insurer. But what is it, why and when do you have to pay it? Find out everything about the mandatory and voluntary excess.
Wish to avoid financial surprises? Is your payable amount unclear? Log in to Mijn Zilveren Kruis and check the level of your excess. On the last page of the claims overview, you will find the amounts we still have to charge.
Log in with the DigiD-app or SMS code.
What is the mandatory excess?
When you receive medical care you will pay part of the costs yourself. This is called the mandatory excess. The government determines the level of the excess each year. This year the excess amounts to € 385.
- The mandatory excess applies to everyone from the age of 18
- You will pay the excess as well as your insurance premium
- Applies to a full calendar year (1 January to 31 December)
- You use up the full excess amount before receiving a reimbursement from the basic insurance
- Never applies to medical care reimbursed from a supplementary insurance
This is why you have to pay a mandatory excess
The government wishes to make everyone aware of the costs for health care. At the same time this allows the insurance premium to stay lower.
What is the voluntary excess?
On top of the mandatory excess you can choose a voluntary excess. The amounts you can choose from are € 100, € 200, € 300, € 400 or € 500. Just like the mandatory excess, you will have to pay voluntary excess first before the basic insurance reimburses medical costs. The voluntary excess also applies to a full calendar year (1 January to 31 December).
Choose your voluntary excess and discover your advantages
The voluntary excess you can choose for a ZieZo insurance is € 500.
- Save up to € 3.50 per month with Basis Zeker
- Save up to € 4 per month Basis Budget and Basis Exclusief
- Save up to € 7 per month with Basis Zeker
- Save up to € 8 per month with Basis Budget and Basis Exclusief
- Save up to € 10.50 per month with Basis Zeker
- Save up to € 12 per month with Basis Budget and Basis Exclusief
- Save up to € 14 per month with Basis Zeker
- Save up to € 16 per month with Basis Budget and Basis Exclusief
Wish to choose a voluntary excess? Log in into Mijn Zilveren Kruis. Click on the button Wijzig mijn pakket and make your choice. You can already apply ahead for next year.
Also important to know
Frequently asked questions
Hospitals and independent treatment centres (zelfstandige behandelcentra (zbc’s)) can only claim the bill at the end of the treatment period. A treatment period lasts at least 42 and no more than 120 days. This is why insurers receive the bills much later.
Insurers negotiate with hospitals and zbc about the prices for hospital treatments. They can claim once the prices have been agreed on.
No. You’ll pay the excess from the 1st of the month following your 18th birthday. The amount is adjusted.
When you start treatment (dbc-care product) in 2019, the costs will be settled with your 2019 excess. Even if treatments stops in 2020.
Yes, just like in the Netherlands you will pay an excess for care that is reimbursed from your basic insurance. The excess doesn’t apply to medical care reimbursed based on the S2 form. However, the statutory personal contribution may apply. The amount is the same as for the residents of the EU or EEA country in which you received medical care.
The hospitals claims the bill after every 120 days as a dbc-care product (treatment) lasts up to 120 days. After that the hospital starts a new dbc for you for the same treatment. This will continue until your treatment stops. You will pay the excess for each bill until you have reached your excess amount.